Monday, October 31, 2005

Soba restaurant

On Saturday, I went with some other teachers to visit our Japanese teacher's house. On the way there, we stopped when we saw a cute baby being pushed in a grand stroller by his grandmother. He seemed like an emperor when he allowed us to take his picture. Our teacher lives north of Hamamatsu with lots of nature around her house. We went with her and her husband to a famous soba (buckwheat noodles) restaurant in the area. Her husband has been recovering from a stroke over the past few months, but he can walk and speak fairly well now. It was nice talking with him since he spoke simple Japanese to me and due to the stroke, he is much more affectionate and care-free than other Japanese. The soba we had was made fresh at the restaurant.

On our way home, we stopped at an old resturant which was 150 years old and used to be an inn. Up until 35 years ago, geisha used to work there and before that, samurai use to visit there. The ceilings were low to make sure samurai couldn't fight inside the inn. We stopped there to have green tea.

I was hoping that there was going to be another post for this weekend about the sake festival that was happening at a local sake brewery. Unfortunately, I could not sleep a wink on Saturday night, and so I wasn't well enough to get to the festival. I was super disappointed about this but my friends told me about it and brought me back some sake glasses from there. I'll just have to wait till next year to go to it.

No comments: