Friday, June 01, 2007

Wrong place/ Wrong time

So today I was lucky enough to have the morning off since my Friday morning class finished their contract last week. I decided to go for a bicycle ride to the beach since it was a nice day. On the way back though, I was stopped by the police. My main guess for why they stopped me was that I was a foreigner on a bicycle around noon time. They were curious as to why I wasn't at work and was this really my bicycle. Everything was fine, although 10 minutes later, I was stopped again. This time by an undercover cop on a bicycle. I told him that I had just been stopped and so he let me leave without further questions. It's funny that I've never been stopped before but then got stopped twice in one day.

For some reason, this has been the fourth time I've been stopped and questioned by police since the year 2000. Each time was a wrong place/wrong time situation. Once was in Korea and twice in Canada. Anyways, since I wasn't in a rush today, I enjoyed getting to practice my Japanese skills with people who couldn't speak English. I was proud that I could notice my Japanese improving.

I've also noticed twice now that older policemen here are much better to deal with than younger ones. Older policemen are more patient and they use simple Japanese so that I can understand them. The younger ones try to seem tougher, but since they don't use simpler Japanese, they just confuse me rather than intimidating me. Although it was good practising my Japanese with them, I'll try not to make it a regular habit in the future.

No comments: