Thursday, October 08, 2009

Typhoon day

Similar to having a a day off school since its a 'snow day' in Canada, I had a 'typhoon day' today and so I stayed home from work. This is typhoon season in Japan, but today's typhoon is the first to hit the mainland hard for two years. Our area was hit hardest during the night (with winds up to 198 km/h), which kept me awake for parts of it.
It had died down a lot by the time the sun rose, but it was still pretty windy. I heard that the was some damage to trees and roofs of houses in some areas as well as two people dying, but overall, the storm wasn't as bad as they were predicting.

So I was able to enjoy a quiet day at home today and tried to do some work for school (but never work that well from home). The storm definitely made the air much cooler and clearer. This evening, I was able to see Mt. Fuji from my living room window (rising up behind a school and forests). I can usually only see it in the winter so I was surprised to see it so soon:
Sorry, no pictures from the actually storm, but I will show you a photo Ayako took last week. It's a nice shot from our house just before the sun came up:
She's been getting better at taking photos than I am these days.

No comments: