Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Earthquake - update

Today is day 6 since the earthquake in the Tohoku region. Life in my area has returned to it regular ways and I haven't seen anybody stocking up on food when I was at the supermarket. There is increased helicopter activity since there is an air rescue squadron at the self-defense base in our city.

There was a 6.4 magnitude earthquake near Mt. Fuji last night. Since we can see Mt. Fuji from our house, we could definitely feel the earthquake here (magnitude 3 in this area). I heard on the news that there were 2 people with minor injuries. There was no tsunami warning since the earthquake was inland. There haven't been any aftershocks since then.

It seems that most of the news from what is happening in Japan is being reported pretty quickly around the world, so there's not much more that I know that hasn't been reported. The main for our area is that we are 500 km away from the area hit by the tsunami and we have a strong wind that blows west to east during the winter, which makes me feel relieved about any radiation blowing this way.

No comments: