Sunday, March 25, 2007

Earthquakes & cookies

Today, I felt an earthquake for the first time in my life. I'm sure there have been small earthquakes around here, but none strong enough that I could feel. This morning though, there was an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.9 about 300 km from here.
Japan also uses a seismic intensity scale to describe the degree of shaking at any place. So this earthquake had a 6+ level at the source. This caused an earthquake in my area with a level of 3. It was only shaking a bit, for maybe 15 seconds, but it was still an interesting feeling for me.

It's been a fairly relaxed weekend. The excitement each evening was watching the end of the Osaka sumo tournament. I've been following sumo for the past 2 weeks, and I'm enjoying it much more now that I understand the sport and can recognize some wrestlers. Now I'm hoping that I'll be able to go to the tournament that is in nearby Nagoya in July.

My other activity was baking some peanut butter cookies for a class party tomorrow. My schedule is changing from April and so tomorrow's class will be my last with them. And so here is a picture of me making the cookies today:

No comments: