Thursday, August 25, 2005

Gotta remember my camera

I knew that I wanted to make this blog when I came here, so I thought it would be smart to take my camera with me when I went out. I just didn't realize I should take it with me when I when to the supermarket. On Sunday night, I showed the other new teacher, Jenny, where the supermarket was (only a 2 minute walk from home).

On our way back we came across a mini festival happening in an abandoned lot. There were games for kids and drinks and food you could buy. We came when lots of older women were doing a kinda of hat dance. After they did it once they tried to get people from the crowd involved. Jenny and I joined in and got to learn this hat dance. Some of the teachers came by then and were also surprised to see the festival as well as the new teachers taking part in it.

After this dance, there was a group of Brazilian girls who came out and danced accompanied by a large band. I found out that my city has the most foreigners per capita in Japan. 5% of the population here are foreigners with half being from Brazil. Actually, of the foreign population, only 1% speak English. Aside from Brazilians, there are also lots of Chinese, Koreans, and others from South American and South East Asia. Many of them are working in the factories here.

No comments: