Monday, September 12, 2005

Sake

Since I've been in Japan, I've found that my favourite drink here is sake. There a number of types and qualities, so I'm hoping to get better at distinguising them. I've already found out that the quality is closely matched to the price. You can buy either small or large bottles at liquor stores such as the small ones below:

At bars I've tried both hot and cold sake. Hot sake is much smoother although the taste is much more subtle. For cold sake, they sometimes but a glass in a square wooden cup and then pour sake into the glass so that it overflows into the square wooden cup. This is suppose to show you that they are giving you so much that it overflows the glass.

I've heard there are also sake bars, so I'm hoping to try going to one of those sometime. There's also a sake festival in a month or so which I'm hoping will be a fun time.

No comments: